Review about Europcar Car Rental from Singapore, Singapore

Appalling customer relations and lousy after sales experience with Europcar.

Firstly, it took Europcar more than a month to give me a response on my authorisation charge inquiry, despite me calling and emailing on 3 separate occasions. I had to chase Europcar for an answer.

Secondly, Europcar's process of placing an authorisation charge on customers' credit card is ridiculous. When I picked up the car at Perth Airport on 18 Aug 15, a charge of AUD1,410.74 was made to my credit card. This was the deposit plus GPS and additional driver charges. But, the very next day on 19 Aug 15, the same amount was debited back into my credit card account! When I returned the car on 31 Aug 15, a charge of AUD1,409.74 (-$1 deposit) was made on my credit card. Becoz of the transactions on 18 and 19 Aug 15, i lost SGD98.69 due to the exchange rate. Why is there a need to debit back the amount into my account? Why can't Europcar hold the amount until I return the car then debit back the deposit? Renee from Customer Relations Australia was defensive and stubborn by saying this is company policy and that I agreed to the terms & conditions when i signed the rental agreement. This was not what was written in the T&C:

[General Rental Terms, Section 6.2 Terms of Payment]: "When payment is made by means of a credit card, an authorisation will be requested prior to the start of the rental... This amount is not debited. It is held on cardholder's bank account until the final rental charge amount is debited."

[Prepayment Terms and Conditions]: "An authorisation will be obtained at time of rental and only on return of the vehicle will the corresponding charges be posted to the credit card."

Lastly, another charge of AUD512.38 was made on my credit card on 1 Oct 15. I did not receive any invoices, statement, or document to explain what this charge was for. When I called to get an answer, it turned out that they had keyed in my email address wrongly thus the invoice didn't reach me. And the charge was for a small glass chip on the windscreen! When i finally received the invoice and damage report, they had spelt my name and email address incorrectly again! I have requested and have yet to receive the updated invoice and damage report as of now. This administrative lapses is outrageous and unacceptable. It is affecting my insurance claim.

I've never been more disappointed and upset with a car rental company like this one.

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Product or service
Europcar Car Rental
Review category
review #713849 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Europcar? Submit review ›
Helpful? 0 Yes 0 0 No 0
Had the same issue 0 Yes 0
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Post a comment to start a discussion.

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Europcar. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Europcar.
Filing a new complaint about