1.8
Additional Services
Insurance Quality

Appalling customer relations and lousy after sales experience with Europcar.

Firstly, it took Europcar more than a month to give me a response on my authorisation charge inquiry, despite me calling and emailing on 3 separate occasions. I had to chase Europcar for an answer.

Secondly, Europcar's process of placing an authorisation charge on customers' credit card is ridiculous. When I picked up the car at Perth Airport on 18 Aug 15, a charge of AUD1,410.74 was made to my credit card. This was the deposit plus GPS and additional driver charges. But, the very next day on 19 Aug 15, the same amount was debited back into my credit card account! When I returned the car on 31 Aug 15, a charge of AUD1,409.74 (-$1 deposit) was made on my credit card. Becoz of the transactions on 18 and 19 Aug 15, i lost SGD98.69 due to the exchange rate. Why is there a need to debit back the amount into my account? Why can't Europcar hold the amount until I return the car then debit back the deposit? Renee from Customer Relations Australia was defensive and stubborn by saying this is company policy and that I agreed to the terms & conditions when i signed the rental agreement. This was not what was written in the T&C:

[General Rental Terms, Section 6.2 Terms of Payment]: "When payment is made by means of a credit card, an authorisation will be requested prior to the start of the rental... This amount is not debited. It is held on cardholder's bank account until the final rental charge amount is debited."

[Prepayment Terms and Conditions]: "An authorisation will be obtained at time of rental and only on return of the vehicle will the corresponding charges be posted to the credit card."

Lastly, another charge of AUD512.38 was made on my credit card on 1 Oct 15. I did not receive any invoices, statement, or document to explain what this charge was for. When I called to get an answer, it turned out that they had keyed in my email address wrongly thus the invoice didn't reach me. And the charge was for a small glass chip on the windscreen! When i finally received the invoice and damage report, they had spelt my name and email address incorrectly again! I have requested and have yet to receive the updated invoice and damage report as of now. This administrative lapses is outrageous and unacceptable. It is affecting my insurance claim.

I've never been more disappointed and upset with a car rental company like this one.

This person wrote the review europcar car rental from Europcar and attached a photo. Reviewer claimed that he or she wants Europcar to read this review and look into the issue (if any).

We collected other reviews about products and/or services offered by Europcar for you to read. This information may help you with your purchase decision.

Had an Experience with Europcar?

Comments