Lage Zwaluwe, Noord-Brabant

had the same experience

Rented a car online to be picked up at Glasgow International Airport. I also received a confirmation by email of the charge and also the liability cover for 4-day hire. Expected cost of hire 51.50 GBP.

However upon collection of the hire vehicle I was informed by the advisor the car is without any cover or roadside assistance and the contract was as the previous (I had previously rented through the same company) without any additional cover. The advisor had not explained he had surreptitiously included additional charges resulting in a total cost of 107.96 GBP.

Unfortunately I had not discovered this until the day of the car being returned. I spoke with the collection office and was advised to complain to the assistant manager Malcolm to whom I presented my email confirmation and the invoice supplied by the advisor. To my surprise he simply looked at the invoice and claimed nothing can be done because I had signed for the additional cover nor did he bother to check my previous hire contract. What came as a shock was the casual manner in which he said, 'Send your complaint to the email address at the top of the invoice and I'll give you the same response when it's forwarded to me to address'.

I followed up my complaint with customerservicesuk@europcar.com and I received a response two weeks later where they simply claimed the same as the assistant manager: no refund will be issued because I signed the agreement. In addition it also stated the actions of the assistant manager Malcolm will be reported to his senior whose name has not been provided. I have responded to the recent email and if this remain unresolved, I will definitely lodge a complaint with the European Car Rental Conciliation Service (http://www.ecrcs.eu). Has anyone else been in the same situation?

Product or Service Mentioned: Europcar Car Rental.

Europcar Cons: Entire process.

Comments